This recipe is gluten-free and Keto friendly.
2 large egg plants
1 pound ground turkey or chicken
15.5 oz marinara sauce (I’ll be using Rao’s Homemade)
2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
1 tbsp avocado oil
2 tsp Italian seasoning
1 garlic cloves (crushed)
1/4 cup chopped onion
2 tsp salt
2 tsp black ground pepper
Avocado oil spray
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Lightly oil 2 baking sheets with avocado oil spray. Cut eggplants long ways about 1/4 inch thick. Arrange slices on the prepared baking sheets. Spray the top with avocado oil and add a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Bake eggplant slices in the preheated oven until tops are golden brown, 20 minutes. Flip eggplant and bake an additional 20 minutes.
- While the eggplant is cooking, make filling. Heat avocado oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Add garlic and onions and stir until golden brown. Add in ground turkey or chicken and continue stirring until fully cooked, then add marinara sauce, bring to a simmer and set aside.
- Remove eggplant from the oven and increase temperature to 400 degrees F.
- Place 1/3 of the eggplant slices on bottom of the dish. Pour 1/3 of tomato sauce with ground meat on top of eggplant layer. Sprinkle 1/3 of mozzarella cheese on top of sauce layer. Repeat 2 more times, finishing with a layer of mozzarella cheese.
- Bake in the preheated oven until cheese is melted and sauce is bubbling, 10 to 15 minutes. Cool for 5 minutes before serving.